NetClient CS Instructions
Entering payroll data
Through the Enter Time screen, you can enter payroll data in your private, personalized, and secure portal. The data is encrypted automatically, so it is safe as it travels over the internet.
Follow these steps to enter time for employees.
- In the navigation pane on the left, click the Enter Time link in the Payroll section.
- If necessary, choose the appropriate client from the Client field at the top of the screen.
- Select the appropriate schedule from the Payroll Schedule field.
- Click the Notes icon in the upper-right corner of the Rapid or Detail tab to read any notes from the payroll processor.
- Click the Print Report link in the Payroll section of the navigation pane. This payroll report has been prepared by our firm; it lists all of your employees who have pay items that match the current pay period.
- Optional: To print a copy of the report to use as a worksheet when preparing payroll data, click the Print icon at the top of the Print Report screen.
- Enter payroll information in the Rapid or the Detail tab (Detail tab is recommended).
- Rapid tab: Contains a list of all employees and their basic information, and columns in which you can enter their regular, over-time, or double-time hours. Note that the Rapid tab lists only one pay item. Additional pay items are available in the Detail tab.
- Detail tab: Contains the following grids.
Pay Items grid
Select the appropriate employee and enter regular hours, over-time hours, and double-time hours, the employee’s pay rate, paid time off, and so on. If you need to enter hours for multiple departments for a single employee, you must use the Detail tab to enter time for that employee.
Select the appropriate employee and enter any necessary override amounts. Any permanent amounts are displayed on the screen under the Rate column. If you wish to permanently change the amount of a deduction, you must replace the old amount with the new amount in that same "Rate" column. If you have a one time override change, enter that amount in the Override Amount column. The Override Amount column should only be used when you wish to temporarily override the permanent amount of that deduction, the system will revert back to the permanent amount for future payrolls.
- Note: If pay rates, deductions, and amounts are masked, they will appear as asterisks (****) in these tabs.
- In the Detail tab, to make sure your work is saved, press ENTER after completing the data for each employee.
- In the Detail tab, you can move between employee records by clicking the Next and Previous buttons below the grid.
- In either tab, you can press TAB to move to the next field or SHIFT+TAB to move to the previous field. You may also use the arrows if preferred.
- Whether you are entering time in the Rapid or Detail tab, indicate which employees should not receive pay this period. To do this:
- In the Rapid tab, mark the DNP checkbox to the left of the employee’s name.
- In the Detail tab, mark the Do Not Pay checkbox to the right of the employee’s name.
Note: Salaried employees automatically receive 80 standard hours. You must either zero out the hours for that employee, or mark the Do Not Pay box.
- Add any new employees or update information for existing employees. (see specific instructions below)
- Click the Print Reports link. The report now lists all of the information you have entered for this pay period — first for existing employees and then for new employees. At the end of the report are the grand totals. This is where you will balance your payroll and make changes where necessary.
- We encourage you to save a copy of the completed report for your records to your computer, press CTRL+S. To print a copy, press CTRL+P.
- After you balance your payroll, the Notes to Payroll Processor field is where you will enter grand totals for regular and overtime hours as well as totals for any new employees. If you have any general questions or comments for us, you can enter them here as well. Once you have completed your general notes, hit Enter to save.
- When you are done, click the Complete Payroll button at the bottom of the screen.
Adding or updating employee information
- In the navigation pane, click Employees link in the Payroll section.
Note: If you don’t see this link, you don’t have access to this feature.
- To add an employee, click the Add button at the bottom of the Employees pane.
Note: To update information for an existing employee, click the employee’s name in the Employees pane. That employee’s information will appear in the tabs on the right, where you can make the desired changes.
- In the Main tab, enter the employee’s information in the Identification, Address, and Phone sections.
- In the Payroll Department column, choose the appropriate department. If you enter multiple departments, you must designate one as the primary by clicking the adjacent option in the Primary column. This can only be done for new employees, not existing. If an existing employee has a change of department, please put it in the employee notes tab.
- Click the Personal tab and enter the employee’s personal information such as date of birth, date of hire, and so on.
- Click the Payroll Taxes tab and enter the employee’s federal and state withholding information. For new employees, state withholding must be entered in the employee notes tab.
- Click the Notes tab and enter any notes about the employee (i.e. issuing separate checks ect.)
If you are entering a new employee who should receive a paycheck for the current pay period, you must enter all of the appropriate paycheck information in the Notes field. You can use this field to record wage types, rates, and amounts for the first check, and any other relevant information for the employee.
- Click Save.
Note: You must click Save after editing each employee's information. Failing to save any edits or notes for an employee will result in the loss of updated information.
Employee information that can be added and updated via NetClient CS
Not all employee information can be added or modified via the Employees screen in NetClient CS. Only the information in the fields and checkboxes listed below can be added or modified via NetClient CS. All other employee information must be added or modified within Accounting CS, therefore you must leave a note for us to change it.
- Employee name - First, Middle, Last, Suffix
- Employee street address, City, State, ZIP, County, Country
- School District, Municipality (if applicable for the city, state, ZIP, and county)
- Email- Entering emails for new employees is essential in order for the employee to register for Employee Self-Service to view their check stubs and W-2's.
- Work Location - locations can be added for new employees but cannot be modified for existing employees via NetClient CS.
- Date of birth
- Marital status
- Date of hire - Hire date can be added for new employees but cannot be modified for existing employees via NetClient CS.
- Last raise date
- Inactive date - You can now give us hours for an employee and terminate them at the same time.
Payroll Taxes tab
- Filing status
- Total allowances
- Additional or Fixed amount or percentage
- Non-resident alien
- Federal tax exempt
- New hire FICA credit
- State Additional or Fixed amount or percentage
- Non-resident exemption certificate
- State tax exempt
Things to Remember:
- Employee specific notes (i.e. separate check requests, etc.) must be entered in the "Employee" tab on the left hand side of the portal. After entering an employee note, click Save on the bottom right hand corner before moving on to the next employee.
- Pay items will only be able to be setup to accept amounts or hours, not both. If you have a pay item setup to accept hours only but need to override the amount, you must leave a note for that employee.
- Deduction Amounts can be permanently changed in the Rate column and temperately changed in the Override Amount column.
- Save your work often.
- Do not leave the Enter Time screen without pressing Save.
- Absolutely no Department changes for existing Employee's. If you have a change or need to add a Department, leave a note for that employee.
- If your employees use Web Employee: When entering a new employee always add their email address to the Main tab of the Setup > Employees screen. A registration email will automatically be sent to all employees with a valid email address specified. The email provides a link that directs the employee to the account registration page, where the employee can create a login and specify a password to access their account. Note: If an employee does not have an email address or if you do not know an employee's email address, you can enter your client email address for that employee; when the registration email arrives, you can activate the account on behalf of the employee.
- You may now enter Federal Withholding information for added employees. State withholding must be entered in the employee notes tab